Domesticating Your Foreign Judgement

Do you have an out-of-state judgement?

If you live in Idaho and have an out-of-state judgment for you, there are some key things to know:

1. The judgment must first be recorded in the County where the debtor lives, or owns property.

2. After the judgment has been properly recorded, the Clerk of Court will notify the debtor that your foreign judgment has been recorded.

3. In most counties, you cannot initiate any collection action until 30 days after the notice has been sent to the debtor by the Clerk.

Taylor Law Offices can handle your out-of-state legal issues.

Hire the #1 rated attorney in Boise!
Free Consultation

Filing a Foreign Judgement

The procedure on domesticating a foreign judgment varies somewhat within the state, in different counties. Most counties only require that the fee is paid to record the out-of-state judgment, and the notification sent. Some counties have the requirement that the case is filed concurrently with the recording of the judgment. At Taylor Law Offices, we are familiar with the process, based upon the requirements of the county in which the debtor resides or owns property.

Executing a Foreign Judgement

Executing the judgment will also vary, based upon the county in which it is filed. In each county, to collect upon the debt, you must execute the judgment. There is also the legal option to file a lawsuit against the creditor, in which case it is unnecessary to undertake the other process. Our firm can assist you to resolve a judgment from out-of-state, and we are available to discuss your specific situation. We can then determine the best course of action for you, whether through the statutory method, or though filing a lawsuit against the debtor.

Don’t risk making a procedural mistake when you are dealing with a foreign judgment, contact Taylor Law Offices today.